This is a combination of my two favorites–grilled chicken and coconut curry sauce. I came up with this dish after coming home hungry for curry. I had some chicken marinating in the fridge ready for grilling but found out I’m out of curry powder.
I went ahead and grilled the chicken and thought of making separate creamy ginger coconut sauce to satisfy my craving for curry. I decided to add malunggay (moringa) powder because the white sauce looks boring plus I wanted this dish to be more nutritious and adding veggies will add to the cooking time and I was already hungry.
And that’s how this dish came about. Another favorite added to my list.
- 4-6 pcs chicken thigh fillet with skin on
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- For the sauce--
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large knob ginger, grated
- 1-2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 1-2 pcs bird's eye chili ( red chili)
- 3 tablespoons moringa powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- fish sauce to taste
- In a small bowl, combine extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, mix well.
- Season chicken thigh fillet with salt and ground black pepper and pour the olive oil mixture over it.
- Marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- When ready to cook--
- Heat a stove-top grill until it gets really hot. Put chicken fillet skin side down first. cook until chicken skin is browned.
- For the sauce--
- Heat saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil then saute minced garlic, grated ginger and chili flakes. Add coconut milk and about ¼ cup water. Add moringa leaves and let the sauce cook for about 10 minutes or until sauce is reduced to a creamy consistency.
- When sauce is done, pour over grilled chicken, Enjoy this with rice...lots of rice! 🙂