Level-up your simple egg and toast breakfast. It takes minimum effort to make it extra special for your loved ones and it’s worth it when you see the look of appreciation on their faces or make it for yourself as a treat.
Have you seen Susan Sarandon make this in the movie, The Meddler? I love how her character gobbled up her egg- in-a-basket, like it’s the best meal in the world. Wow. I know she’s a great actress but I believe that she really enjoyed eating it. I was with her in that moment….. I can almost taste that special organic egg from her special friend. 😀
Cookie cutter make it easy to cut a shape in the middle of the bread but a glass or stainless steel tumbler will do too..or find anything in your kitchen. I’m sure there is something there that you could use to make that hole for your egg 🙂
I like to use my heart-shape cookie cutter. Cute.
Use cookie cutter to cut a hole (any shape you like) in the center of the bread
add butter to the hot griddle pan or skillet. Toast bread and the cut-out. Flip then crack egg in the hole. Cover pan/skillet until egg is cooked to your liking.
Season with salt. Enjoy!
Perfect with morning cup of coffee 🙂
Egg in a Basket
- Heat a non-stick pan, skillet or griddle (if you're making more than 2) over medium-high heat
- Lay bread slice/s on a cutting/chopping board; using a cookie cutter or drinking glass, make a hole in the center of the bread slice/s.
- Put a little butter in the hot pan, toast the bread and the cut-out; flip after about a minute or when the bread is browned.
- Crack an egg in the hole.
- Cover the pan and let the egg cook to your desired done-ness.
- When egg is cooked, transfer the toast on a plate.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and some dried parsley flakes, if using.
- Serve with some butter on the side and a cup of coffee. Enjoy.