Chili Crab is one of those dishes that you eat with your hands; it can be very messy so it’s better to eat it in the comfort of your home. My kids and I love it, I didn’t make it too spicy so they can really appreciate it, I had to feed them though because they don’t have any idea how to eat it..those crab shells are dangerous, I got hurt trying to split it open.
I’m not sure if and when I’ll be cooking this again given my husband’s allergy (he didn’t eat some of course..too bad ’cause it was delicious) but if I am to make this dish again, I’ll just buy cooked crabs and proceed from there..easy! :)
steam/boil the crabs, remove hard shell and claws then shop each piece in half
add the crab then the sauce..bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens
serve with lots of rice and eat with your hands! Enjoy! Don’t forget to wash your hands first :)
- 2 whole cooked Dungeness crabs (I used a medium-sized crabs, don’t know what variety it is)
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1 serrano chile, chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- cooking oil
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons hot chili paste (I used sambal chili)
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste (I substituted tamarind/sinigang mix powder)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- Pull the main shell off the crab and discard it. Remove the gray gills and the soft insides. Cut the body in half and then cut between each leg. Crack the legs and claws with the back of the knife or a hammer and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the ketchup, chili paste, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and tamarind paste or powder; thin it with 1 cup water and set aside.
- Pour the oil into a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the scallion, ginger, garlic, 1/2 the chile, and cilantro and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the crab and stir-fry for another minute. Pour in the sauce and continue cooking, stirring often, until the crab has absorbed the sauce and the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Put onto a platter and garnish with the rest of the chile and cilantro.
♥ Have a nice day! GOD Bless! ♥
Powered by Facebook Comments