Queso Fundido means melted (or molten) cheese. If you Google it, you will see that it is usually with chorizo (Spanish or Mexican sausage). I decided to use longganisa (Filipino sausage) which I make regularly at home because it is my favorite 🙂 My version of homemade longganisa is loaded with garlic and it’s skinless because casing is not easy to find plus I do not have the equipment or tool anyway to stuff it into a casing if ever so what I do is wrap about 2 tablespoons portions in parchment paper but lately I just divide it into 3 portions-I usually make a kilo per batch- then wrap it in cling wrap.
Anyway, this gooey, cheesy, yummy dish is a regular repeater in my kitchen. We are in love with it! Specially me because it is super easy to make which is very important for me when trying out recipes. I want something that aside from being delicious, the process should be uncomplicated and requires less clean-up after. 🙂 Queso Fundido is one of those dishes that fits the bill perfectly! Ole! 😀
If you do not want to fire up your oven just for this dish, you may just cover the pan and set your stove to low heat until the cheese is melted although I find that it tastes better when you use the oven especially with the top slightly burned. YUM!
Happy Cooking! 🙂
I use my stainless steel pan for this dish, I imagine it would taste even better if I have a cast-iron skillet. I think it’s time to get one if I’m going to make more dishes that needs finishing in the oven.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 red chillis or green chilis, sliced thinly
- 300 grams longganisa, chorizo or Italian sausage, casings removed
- ½ cup marinara sauce or tomato sauce
- 1½ -2 cups cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese ( or use your favorite combo of cheese)
- Heat an oven-safe 8-inch skillet or pan over the stove and pour about a tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the garlic, onion and chilis.
- Add the longganisa or chorizo and cooked until browned, add the marinara/tomato sauce ; cook for about 5 minutes. Add the cheese. Cover the pan and cook until cheese is melted or broil in the preheated oven uncovered for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread or soft tortilla or nachos. Enjoy 🙂