I have never tasted lemon curd before and I’ve always wanted to make a batch at home. I imagine it would be deliciously tangy; perfect with something sweet and delicious.. like layer cakes, doughnuts, lemon rolls and trifle. My family is not a big fan of lemony desserts but they always eat (and most of the time like it too) what I make so we will see. 🙂 (Actually, I already used this lemon curd for coconut cake and it was well received..it’s coming up next post ü)
About the recipe..
I chose to use Ina Garten’s recipe among so many, I find it the easiest; the process is similar to making cookies or creamed cakes but instead of adding flour towards the end, you transfer the mixture in a saucepan to cook. I used a fine grater to get the zest of the lemons, if you have a microplane, that’s gonna make it easier. It took only 2 1/2 lemons for me to get the 1/2 cup lemon juice that the recipe asks for, rolling them firmly on the counter really helps to get as much juice from the lemons. 🙂 I added a little more sugar because I find it too tart, my family will likely to eat it if it’s more on the sweet side.
Making it is really simple, anyone can do it even without a mixer..a wooden spoon and bowl will do the job just as well, I believe. 🙂
mix sugar and lemon zest in the bowl of the mixer
cream butter and lemon-sugar mixture until light and fluffy
add in eggs one at a time, mix well
pour in the lemon juice..
then transfer the mixture in a saucepan and..
…cook until it thickens over moderate fire/ heat
transfer to a jar with lid and keep in the fridge when completely cooled
- Remove the zest of 3 lemons, using a fine grater or microplane, add to the sugar and mix well.
- Cream butter and lemon-sugar in the mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lemon juice and salt. Mix until combined.
- Tranfer the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; cool then transfer to jars/containers with cover.
- Keep in the refrigerator.
♥ Have a nice day! God Bless! ♥