Once in awhile I like to serve my family something different from our usual rice and meat dishes to keep meal time exciting. Okay, that’s partly true.
I do this sometimes when I want to put my family on a “diet” (mainly my husband who likes to stuff himself with rice like he’s still in his teenage years LOL).
I keep telling him to go easy on carbs because his metabolism is not the same as before when he was a lot younger and he doesn’t really do any serious work-outs these days.
So to help keep him within reasonable weight, I once in awhile take the carbs out of a meal. This doesn’t always work, though because the man loves his rice and ulam ( Filipino main dishes/viand i.e adobo, sinigang, menudo, sisig) 😀 I can’t blame him…I love those dishes, too. 🙂
This low-carb dish is one of my experiments when I attempted to try Ketogenic Diet, I failed miserably on keeping up with it. I can’t give up my carbs especially in it’s sweet form–desserts! LOL
Anyway, whether on a diet or not, this dish is good any day.
It could be an appetizer or your main meal paired with grilled meat of your choice.
Grilled Pesto-Stuffed Portobello Mushroom
- Clean mushroom by wiping it with damp paper towels gently.
- Remove stem and inner part of the mushroom and chop it about the same size as minced onion, garlic and green chilies.
- Brush mushroom caps with olive oil the season lightly with salt and ground black pepper; set aside.
- Preheat grill over medium high fire/heat.
- Put the chopped mushroom stem, garlic, onion and green chilies in a large bowl; add ricotta cheese, pesto and parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper. Mix well until combined.
- Spoon pesto filling into the hollow side of mushroom caps.
- Top with graded mozarella cheese.
- Arrange on the hot grill; cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy:)