This is a very popular Chinese dish but I have never tasted it until I tried to cook it at home.
I have eaten in many Chinese restos here but I have never seen this on any menus or maybe I just didn’t browse long enough to find it.
Anyways, it is delicious as I expected it would be, I like this kind of dish- coated/battered meat, fried and cooked with savory sauce..yum!
Use good kind of cooking oil in frying such as olive oil, corn, canola or coconut lauric oil if you have issues about fried food to lessen your guilt (or the damage to your diet 😋 ) and go easy on the rice. 😀
You may choose to deep-fry the chicken pieces, I prefer pan-frying since I don’t want to use too much oil for just a few ounces of meat then discard it eventually ’cause I don’t like re-using oil.
lay chicken pieces on paper towels to drain excess oil.
Make the sauce
add the cooked chicken back in the pan and mix well to evenly coat chicken with sauce; plate and serve.. easy, right?! Now go and make it..go..now! jk 😉
General Tso’s Spicy Chicken
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 10 oz Skinless Boneless Chicken Thigh or breast / cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ tbsp Rice Wine
- 1 pinch Salt
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 pc Egg beaten
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying
- 1½ tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3 slices Ginger peeled / finely minced or grated
- 2 cloves Garlic finely minced
- 5 pcs Dried Red Chilis rinsed and deseeded
- 2 stalks Scallions cut into 1-inch length
- 3 tbsps Chinese Rice Vinegar
- 3 tbsps Soy Sauce
- ⅓ cup Chicken Stock or water
- 1½ tbsps Sugar
- ½ tbsp Mirin sweet rice wine
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- Put the chicken pieces in a deep bowl with salt and pepper.
- Add beaten egg and cornstarch.
- Mix well to evenly coat chicken.
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons (or more) of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add chicken pieces when oil is hot.
- Cook until chicken pieces turned light brown on both sides.
- Using a slotted spoon, take chicken out of pan.
- Drain the excess oil by laying the chicken on a dish lined with paper towels.
- Discard excess oil from the pan but leave about a tablespoon.
- If you don't have any oil left in the pan, add about a tablespoon of oil.
- When it gets hot enough, saute the minced ginger, garlic, and dried chilies.
- Stir-fry until you smell the spicy aroma of the chiies.
- Pour the sauce into the pan.
- When the sauce boils and thickens, add the chicken and stir to combine well with the sauce.
- Add the scallion and stir a few times, dish out and serve immediately.
♥ Have a nice day! 🙂 GOD Bless! ♥