Imagine gooey melted cheese oozing from in between the toasted buttered bread slices Ooohh. Now, insert pesto…oh yeah! I love my simple grilled cheese sandwich even more now that it’s healthier and more yummy. The kids love it too. This with coffee is a happy meal for me.
Grilled cheese sandwich is one of my favorite foods. I’m not really a big fan of mayonnaise so if I can help it, I really don’t put any on my sandwiches. I used to make my grilled cheese with cream cheese spread instead or with just lots of butter to toast the bread and the cheeses. I found a better alternative with my simple pesto, I have some leftover when I made baked mac with pesto so I thought of using the small amount left for grilled cheese sandwich and my, oh my, why didn’t I think of doing this before? Yummers.
I make simple pesto for this with basil, lots of garlic and extra virgin olive oil only and keep it in the fridge. It is so easy to make and very practical, I usually make a big batch because I use it in other dishes too–like for pasta of course (add the grated parmesan cheese) or grilled chicken and of course for sandwiches and wraps. it will keep in the fridge for 1-2 weeks. You may of course use store-bought pesto if you can’t find the time or the ingredients to make it.
This is how I make my grilled cheese sandwich, you may have your own way of doing it. An easy way of course is if you have a grilled sandwich maker or panini grill.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Basil Pesto
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
For the Simple Basil Pesto
- Put a grill pan on the stove over high heat. Grease with butter when hot then put the 4 slices of bread (maybe do 2 slices first if grill pan is not big enough).
- When bread slices are browned, take it out of the pan, set aside on a plate. Apply more butter on the grill pan and put the other 4 slices of bread.
- Meanwhile, spread about a tablespoon of simple pesto on the toasted side of each bread. Put a slice each of gouda and cheddar cheese on top of each slice.
- Take out the slices of bread that's on the grill, set aside. Butter the pan again then put the slices of bread with the pesto and cheese back on the pan and cover each bread with the toasted side (hot part) of the remaining bread slices to make a sandwich.
- Using a flat angled metal spatula, press on each sandwich to brown the bread and melt the cheese inside. Take bread out of the pan, apply more butter to the pan and put the sandwiches back to grill the other side. Press down with an angled spatula.
- if you have a grilled cheese sandwich maker, it would be easy-peasy. I don't so I do it this way. 😀
To make Simple Pesto
- Add all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend. Transfer to a clean small jar with lid and keep in the fridge.