I love coconut milk and whenever I see a recipe with coconut milk in it, I definitely give it a try. This one is from an old issue of Cooking Light magazine (July 2002); an east-west fusion and a trimmed down version of an old time favorite beef recipe.
BEEF STEW CURRY
1/2 cup chopped green onions
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon Thai chile sauce
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
1 pound beef stew meat
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 (14 1/4-ounce) can low-salt beef broth
2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
1 1/2 cups (1-inch-thick) sliced carrot
1 cup (1-inch-thick) sliced celery
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1/2 cup light coconut milk
To prepare paste, combine first 6 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Spoon into a bowl.
To prepare stew, heat a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan.
Reduce heat to low; add oil to pan. Add paste; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add curry, cinnamon, and bay leaf; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in beef, soy sauce, and broth. Increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
Add sweet potato, carrot, celery, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in coconut milk. Discard cinnamon stick and bay leaf. eNJOY! 🙂
Beef Stew Curry
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1/2 CUP CHOPPED GREEN ONIONS
- 3 TABLESPOONS FRESH ORANGE JUICE
- 2 TABLESPOONS MINCED PEELED FRESH GINGER
- 1 TABLESPOON THAI CHILE SAUCE
- 4 GARLIC CLOVES PEELED
- 2 SERRANO CHILES SEEDED AND FINELY CHOPPED
- COOKING SPRAY
- 1 POUND BEEF STEW MEAT
- 1 TEASPOON VEGETABLE OIL
- 1 TABLESPOON CURRY POWDER
- 1 3-INCH CINNAMON STICK
- 1 BAY LEAF
- 3 TABLESPOONS LOW-SODIUM SOY SAUCE
- 1 14 1/4-OUNCE CAN LOW-SALT BEEF BROTH
- 2 CUPS 1-INCH CUBED PEELED SWEET POTATO
- 1 1/2 CUPS 1-INCH-THICK SLICED CARROT
- 1 CUP 1-INCH-THICK SLICED CELERY
- 1 8-OUNCE PACKAGE PRESLICED MUSHROOMS
- 1/2 CUP LIGHT COCONUT MILK
- TO PREPARE PASTE, COMBINE FIRST 6 INGREDIENTS IN A BLENDER; PROCESS UNTIL SMOOTH. SPOON INTO A BOWL.
- TO PREPARE STEW, HEAT A DUTCH OVEN COATED WITH COOKING SPRAY OVER MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT. ADD BEEF; COOK 5 MINUTES, BROWNING ON ALL SIDES. REMOVE FROM PAN.
- REDUCE HEAT TO LOW; ADD OIL TO PAN. ADD PASTE; COOK 2 MINUTES, STIRRING FREQUENTLY. ADD CURRY, CINNAMON, AND BAY LEAF; COOK 30 SECONDS, STIRRING CONSTANTLY. STIR IN BEEF, SOY SAUCE, AND BROTH. INCREASE HEAT TO MEDIUM-HIGH. BRING TO A BOIL; COVER, REDUCE HEAT, AND SIMMER 1 HOUR.
- ADD SWEET POTATO, CARROT, CELERY, AND MUSHROOMS. BRING TO A BOIL; COVER, REDUCE HEAT, AND SIMMER 50 MINUTES OR UNTIL BEEF AND VEGETABLES ARE TENDER. REMOVE FROM HEAT; STIR IN COCONUT MILK. DISCARD CINNAMON STICK AND BAY LEAF. ENJOY! 🙂