What’s better than tiramisu? Why, chocolate tiramisu, of course!
This is Giada de Laurentiis recipe as seen on her show, I forgot which because she has several shows, it’s one of my favorite recipes.
I made this for Valentine’s last week – I divided the recipe into 3 containers, gave the 2 small ones away and the left-over cookies and filling, I layered it in a goblet just for me.
Heaven on earth! 😇
Here’s how to make it..recipe follows at the end. Have fun making Tiramisu! 😋
Savoiardi aka ladyfingers or broas
chocolate zabaglione (pronounced tsah-bahl-YOH-nay)
fold the zabaglione (or sabayon) into the whipped Marcarpone and cheese
start layering, I like to smear a little of the filling at the bottom to prevent it from sticking but it’s not necessary, it’s just out of habit, I do the same with lasagna or any layered dish
it’s not part of the recipe but I always put grated chocolate before adding on another layer, just because..
mine, mine, mine! ♥♥♥ I want some more…
- 6 oz Mascarpone Cheese see note below for substitute
- ⅔ cup Whipping Cream
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2½ cups Coffee strong brew
- 24 pcs Savoiardi Ladyfingers
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder for garnish
- Dark Chocolate Shavings for garnish
- 2 tbsps Heavy Cream or whipping cream
- ¼ cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 4 pcs Eggs large size / yolks only
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Marsala Wine or kahlua / or tia Maria
- 1 pinch Salt
FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- Add cream and chocolate to a heavy small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat.
- Stir often, until the chocolate chips are melted and smooth.
- Set aside and keep warm.
FOR CHOCOLATE ZABAGLIONE:
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, marsala and salt in a large glass bowl until blended.
- Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water but do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water.
- Whisk the egg mixture over the simmering water until it is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Using a large rubber spatula, fold the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate to chill completely.
- Place the mascarpone cheese in a large bowl and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream and ¼ cup of the sugar in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone.
- Then fold in the chilled Chocolate Zabaglione.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Whisk the warmed espresso and the remaining ¼ cup of sugar in another medium bowl until blended.
- Line a 9¼ by 5 by 2¾inch metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing the plastic to extend over the sides.
- Working with 1 cookie at a time, dip 8 cookies into the espresso.
- Arrange in a single layer side by side over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spoon ⅓ of the mascarpone mixture over the cookies to cover.
- Repeat dipping 8 of the cookies in the espresso and layering the cookies and remaining mascarpone mixture 2 more times.
- Dip the remaining 8 cookies in the espresso.
- Arrange side by side atop the tiramisu.
- Press lightly to compact slightly. (the last layer will extend above the pan sides)
- Cover the tiramisu with plastic and refrigerate at least 6 hours.
- Unwrap the plastic from atop the tiramisu.
- Invert the tiramisu onto a platter.
- Remove the plastic.
- Sift the cocoa over the tiramisu.
- With a vegetable peeler or sharp knife, make dark chocolate shavings.
- Sprinkle over the top.
♥Have a nice day!:) GOD Bless! ♥