What’s better than tiramisu? Why, chocolate tiramisu, of course! This is Giada de Laurentiis recipe as seen on her show, I forgot which because she has several shows, it’s one of my favorite recipes. I made this for Valentine’s last week – I divided the recipe into 3 containers, gave the 2 small ones away; the left-over cookies and filling, I layered it in a goblet just for me.
Heaven on earth! 🙂
Here’s how to make it..recipe follows at the end. Have fun making Tiramisu! 🙂
Savoiardi aka ladyfingers or broas
chocolate zabaglione (pronounced tsah-bahl-YOH-nay)
fold the zabaglione (or sabayon) into the whipped Marcarpone and cheese
start layering, I like to smear a little of the filling at the bottom to prevent it from sticking but it’s not necessary, it’s just out of habit, I do the same with lasagna or any layered dish
it’s not part of the recipe but I always put grated chocolate before adding on another layer, just because..
mine, mine, mine! ♥♥♥ I want some more…
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 6 ounces mascarpone cheese*
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups espresso coffee warmed
- 24 crisp ladyfinger cookies recommended: Savoiardi
- Unsweetened cocoa powder for garnish
- Dark chocolate shavings for garnish
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dry Marsala Kahlua,Tia Maria are good substitutes
- Pinch salt
- Add cream and chocolate to a heavy small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the chocolate chips are melted and smooth. Set aside and keep warm.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, Marsala, and salt in a large glass bowl until blended. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, but do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water.
- Whisk the egg mixture over the simmering water until it is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Using a large rubber spatula, fold the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate to chill completely.
- Place the mascarpone cheese in a large bowl and set aside. With an electric mixer, beat the cream and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone. Then fold in the chilled Chocolate Zabaglione. Cover and refrigerate.
- Whisk the warmed espresso and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar in another medium bowl until blended.
- Line a 9 1/4 by 5 by 2 3/4-inch metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing the plastic to extend over the sides.
- Working with 1 cookie at a time, dip 8 cookies into the espresso, and arrange in a single layer side by side over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spoon 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture over the cookies to cover.
- Repeat dipping 8 of the cookies in the espresso and layering the cookies and remaining mascarpone mixture 2 more times.
- Dip the remaining 8 cookies in the espresso and arrange side by side atop the tiramisu. Press lightly to compact slightly (the last layer will extend above the pan sides).
- Cover the tiramisu with plastic and refrigerate at least 6 hours.
- Unwrap the plastic from atop the tiramisu. Invert the tiramisu onto a platter. Remove the plastic. Sift the cocoa over the tiramisu, and with a vegetable peeler or sharp knife, make dark chocolate shavings and sprinkle over top.
♥Have a nice day!:) GOD Bless! ♥