The best breads are those fresh out of the oven. The aroma of bread baking in the oven just gives you a good feeling, like everything is right in the world. Bread making is quite intimidating for me, I remember my first unsuccessful tries (ugh) but I didn’t give up because I know that I will eventually learn from my mistakes and I will be rewarded with a delicious bread and it will be the best bread ever because I made it. 😀 My family agrees.
I’m not saying I’m now at an expert level (I”m far from it) but I am confident enough with my experience that I can tweak recipes to my preference like this recipe. I’ve made this several times and it always gives consistent result.
TIP – I remember my number one concern before was how hot should the water or milk be? It should be comfortably warm when you dip your finger into it. Hotter than lukewarm but not too hot or you’ll kill the yeast…that is murder. LOL. Sorry.
This sweet potato bread recipe is good even for beginner bakers. The dough is easy to work with, it’s not sticky. The addition of mashed sweet potato not only makes the bread rolls soft but it also gives it a beautiful golden yellow hue.
I like this recipe so much that it is what I used now for my cinnamon rolls (post to follow).
Add yeast to milk with sugar and let it froth. About 5 mins
add salt, sugar, eggs and mashed sweet potato to the yeast mixture
add 3 cups flour
stir just until it comes together
turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 3 mins
from into a ball then put into oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap
let rise for an hour
punch dough down to release air
divide into 16- 18 equal pieces
shape into balls and put in a greased baking pan.
Let rise until doubled
bake in the preheated oven for 12 mins. Brush top with melted butter. Let cool a bit and serve.
Sweet Potato Bread Rolls
- Warm the milk and put into a big mixing bowl. Add 1 tablespoon sugar and yeast. Mix and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- When yeast mixture is frothy, add salt, 3 tbsp sugar, mashed sweet potato, melted butter and beaten eggs. Mix well with a whisk or wooden spoon.
- Add 3 cups of flour to the mixture and using wooden spoon, stir until shaggy dough forms. Reserve the 1/2 cup for dusting the surface and your hands and if the dough is too sticky.
- Turn out dough into a lightly floured surface and knead for about 3 minutes. Form dough into a bowl. OIl the mixing bowl and put the ball of dough in it, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for an hour or until double in size.
- After an hour, remove plastic wrap and punch dough down to release the air. Transfer to your work surface and divide the dough into 16-20 pcs.
- Roll each piece into a ball and put on a greased baking sheet or pan. Allow to rise until it's doubled, about 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- When dough is ready, bake in the preheared oven for about 12-15 mins. Check after 12 mins, when top is golden, it's done. Baking time varies with oven and size of bread rolls.